Captive Prince Series Playlist (Spoilers)

I recently finished reading the Captive Prince series by C.S. Pacat! The politics and characters were very intriguing, and I loved Laurent and Damen's relationship as it developed throughout the series. I've done a previous book-inspired playlist; here is a new one inspired by the Captive Prince books.


The Words You Say by Harrison Storm

"These hands they know not your touch, leave them alone
Your uncertainty in hard times left me scorned
And I knew the answers to questions that I asked..."

These lyrics reflect Laurent's tense personality, how he is wary of letting anyone in. The song's repeated line it's not the words you say speaks of how Damen understands that Laurent's harsh words are a front, and how Damen is able to weather Laurent's anger to support him in spite of it.

Atlas Hands by Benjamin Francis Leftwich

"Take me to the docks, there's a ship without a name there
And it is sailing to the middle of the sea
I will remember your face
'Cause I am still in love with that place
But when the stars are the only things we share
Will you be there?"

This song reminds me specifically of Prince's Gambit, the second of the series, when Damen is making plans to escape back to Akielos, all the while struggling to leave Laurent behind. It reflects the thoughts I imagine Damen may have had as he ruminated on his impending escape.


Tell Me It's Real by Seafret

"She said I really don't mind if you have to leave my side
Cause I've been made to walk alone all the way through my life
So I won't say it's over just as it begins, 
Oh, tell me it's real...
I left you unprotected in the fortress of your mind
Felt the rhythm of my heart beating out the words I couldn't find..."

The uncertainty in this song reminds me of the beginning of Kings Rising, when Damen realizes that all of Laurent's actions had purpose, and the hurt and uncertainty that came about as a result of that revelation. The words fortress of your mind remind me of Laurent's calculating nature, and how in moments where emotion overwhelmed him he would turn to Damen with a muttered, "I can't think." The line I've been made to walk alone reflects Laurent's isolation as a result of the Regent. Both Laurent and Damen are reluctant to allow themselves to be vulnerable, so the line the rhythm of my heart beating out the words I couldn't find reminds me of how both men resist confessing their feelings, relying instead on actions.



War of Hearts by Ruelle

"Stay with me a little longer
I will wait for you
Shadows creep
And want grows stronger
Deeper than the truth
I can't help but love you
Even though I try not to..."

This song just encapsulates all of the political and personal struggles in the lives of the two princes. Throughout the series, they both fight against growing feelings for each other, and though there are so many lies and deceptions between them, in the end love is stronger.

Somewhere Only We Know by Keane

"So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin
And if you have a minute why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of everything..."

This song holds all of Damen's uncertainty regarding his relationship with Laurent, his doubts about whether the other would ever grow to trust him. It also reminds me of the small acts of care they did for each other—Damen ordering guards away from Laurent's chambers when the prince was overwhelmed, or Laurent simply hugging Damen after Jokaste's reveal about her son.

And at the end, the song reminds me of Laurent's promise that, when this is all over, they would spend weeks together in Akielos. The song is bittersweet, struggling yet hopeful all at once, as was the ending to the Captive Prince series.

Comments

Popular Posts