Book inspired look: Princess Cleiona of Falling Kingdoms

It's been awhile since I've posted! Having recently marathoned books 3 and 4 of the Falling Kingdoms series by Morgan Rhodes, I was inspired to create a makeup look of one of the leading characters.

"Some sought revenge against their enemies with the edge of a sword. Her plan for vengeance began with the edge of a smile." —Cleiona Bellos


The southern kingdom of Auranos is perpetually sunny and temperate, and home to Princess Cleo. When the King of Blood conquers her kingdom, Cleo's idyllic life is turned upside down as she is forced to become cunning in the face of her adversaries. Throughout the series, I was captivated by how Cleo's character uses not weapons, but charm and deception to win her battles. She completely subverts the 'damsel in distress' trope by holding her own against tyrants and princes alike. For this makeup look, I drew inspiration from both her character and her homeland of Auranos.

You can find my full review of the first book of the Falling Kingdoms series here.

I chose an Ellen Tracy palette with rich warm tones to create a shimmery eye look inspired by the peach wine that the Auranians are so partial to. Golden eyeliner finishes the look, representing Cleo's title as the 'Princess of Gold'. I chose two lip colours for this look: a softer apricot shade from Anthropologie, or a rosey toned nude from Tarte. For a splash of summer, I included a vineyard peach mist from The Body Shop.

Add a killer smile, and your look is complete.

Comments

Popular Posts